Thursday 24 July 2014

Textures / Bumps





Whilst I've dabbled in the textures and bump maps used for the environment, here are the ones for the character models.

Once the mesh was appropriately laid out in the UV texture editor it became available to paint. I prefer this much more than manually painting the details in photoshop and applying it directly, as it feels more natural to literally paint onto the model. That said, I can only wish I had more experience in it, but I'm confident that the lessons I have learned producing these models will come in later when I come to produce more.

That said, it was partially necessary to use photoshop in the production of the alien model because it took a long time to paint, and the way the polygons were arranged (a fault on my part admittedly) made it hard to paint in some areas because of the range of size in which one polygon came to play a part. For example, it was hard to paint a part of one spike because the spikes were made of only a few polygons each in total. But in photoshop I wasn't restricted.

So all in all, I've learned important lessons regarding the advantages and disadvantages concerning mudbox and painting textures, and I do feel they have helped better my proficiency in using both of the softwares.

No comments:

Post a Comment