Friday 19 April 2013

Responsive Brief feedback / crit

So I presented what I had for my responsive brief so far which if I am perfectly honest, isn't so much and is still in the works; it was little more than a few ideas for the characters. The idea I had is in presenting two animations in different ways, e.g 2D and 3D, and having the characters cross over at one point. Ultimately I think this isn't the way to go now; it doesn't fulfill any sort of transmedia criteria and it would mean a lot of work. It was recommended instead that I do something else, perhaps a comic of some sorts.

I'm thinking I could perhaps produce one, or a semi-animated comic of sorts to explain the background of the animation that will take place afterwards. I like that idea as it means I'll be able to do some good illustrations and put them to use and still be able to make a 2D animation.

I will set the story within a universe I started developing over the easter holiday; the details of which I keep on my laptop. The only thing I am currently in need of is a monster design, which I explained I wanted to draw parallels between Samurai Jack and Aku, in that the antagonist is a large, supernatural monster whereas the protagonist with only one magic quality, his weapon.

I am still a little indecisive as to how to approach making my 2D animation. In the test animation with the mage character I made it is little more than a static image that is made to look like it is moving. I may produce the animation this way as I have very little experience with flash. However if I produce the comic in a semi-animated fashion I may also use After Effects, so it is a question of deciding to use both but making the differences notable or observable, or not animating the comic at all - which I think might be the wiser decision.

In the meantime I feel that I have a better grasp on my project as a whole and I intend to develop it further by creating a monster for the protagonist to battle - and I think I will use the mage character. Animating a fight between a sword-fighting melee character would be very hard and much more time consuming, but with a magic-wielding character I could make use of particle effects, and it would be relevant to the universe that the animation is set in.

In an idea I had afterwards, I may produce 3D environments and have the 2D animated characters, but this is just an idea for now and will have to think on it and develop it further.




No comments:

Post a Comment