Sunday 16 October 2011

Animation Choreography

Amongst the many cartoons and animations I grew up with, my favourite and the one that inspired me most was Samurai Jack. The far-eastern setting intertwined with a retro future and unique artstyle are unforgettable and I was already familiar the director, Genndy Tartakovsky, for his previous work with Dextor's Laboratory. He also directed the Star Wars: Clone Wars animated series, where the same similar art and animation style are employed.

Alongside these reasons, as to why I rank Samurai Jack as my favourite animated programme of all time, i s the choreography within it, during the fight scenes and the realistic quality of the animated movement the characters perform. Protagonist Jack excellently demonstrates this throughout the entire series with a multitude of weapons, fighting styles, scenarios in various places against a vast array of enemies.

I was able to find a documentary that explored the process and source of the choreography within Samurai Jack and found it very informative. I would definitely like to produce an animation which included some choreography in a fight scene as I find well-executed and well animated fight scenes to be very entertaining and inspiring.


Below is another video demonstrating the full fight scene of Jack versus a vast army of undead. I admire the many strange and unsettling sound effects used for the undead, atmosphere, and various other sounds of diagetic and non-diagetic nature - sounds that are part of the scene such as swords clashing and scraping, and sounds that are not, such as the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment