Sunday 23 March 2014

Film Inspirations I

Some of the films I've looked at for inspiration.


Set in the future, Starship Troopers is a setting in which the human race is under threat from the "bugs", a primordial but savage extraterrestrial race. Conflicts with the bug often come with many heavy casualties and losses due to their overwhelming numbers, size and, amongst many other variables, the human's lack of knowledge in combatting them.

This is somewhat resolved by the end of the film as they find a "brain-bug" that thinks and forms strategies / commands for the bugs. But they learn that dealing with them means finding out these bugs and taking care of them.

I draw inspiration because I am developing my alien race as bugs, or insect-like creatures, and so I find their behavioral patterns of having a hive-mind, and everything from the noises they make to be an example of what a bug-like alien could be like.

Similarly I imagine the way the foot soldiers deal with the bugs is the same way the regular soldiers of my animation story's time period deal with them, and they develop the poltergeists as a means of having supersoldiers to combat them.

The film also pokes at other things, such as the social structure - one has to become a 'citizen' to vote - and citizenship is earned through service in the mobile infantry - likely other means too, but through the infantry seems to be a quick-fix for it as they frequently mention 'service guarantees citizenship'. Despite the film's slapstick nature at times, it does have it's moments that makes it interesting to watch and re-watch, and it has played a part in shaping my animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment