Wednesday 1 February 2012

James Cameron

Cameron as a director has contributed a great deal to film. The Terminator franchise has been one of my favourites, though the third and fourth films in the series were noticable not as gripping, and after I learned Cameron sold the rights to the Terminator films after Judgement Day, it was easy to see why, as Cameron wasn't working on them.



I recall Cameron in several interviews I have watched on YouTube, one of which I have already mentioned, where he is discussing actors, characters and the roles they play and his thought processes behind them. Cameron states something roughly along the lines of 'if the T-800 is like a human Panzer tank, the T-1000 had to be like a Porsche," which I found to be an insight into the way Cameron wants his actors portrayed. He has one many awards for many different areas and frequently works on his films as more as just the director; he also writes, edits and produces some films. He has directed two of the highest grossing films of all time, Titanic and Avatar which earned over $4 billion combined, without adjusting for inflation.

I acknowledge I'm far from Cameron's status or quality, but I do acknowledge myself as able to write. I've done enough creative writing and I think I'm up to the task of writing a full script. Post production editing is not my strong point and it's a disadvantage I intend to address. Though I do often acknowledge it's uses and know what I want from footage when I get to the post production film. Producing is something I read up as knowing a good network of people to work with.

Cameron is one of my directing idols because he has a clear vision of what he wants to get out of a film and I can familiarize myself with that. I don't not think of myself as uncompromising and narrow on a group project, though if I were to fully write, direct, and produce my own film at some point in the future, I would still appreciate input - but would not compromise on something I did not even slightly agree with. I would have an idea and I would see it realized in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment