Thursday 22 May 2014

Art of the Theros Block Gods

Now I'm not at all sure what the Theros Block Gods are, but I was very intrigued when I saw these series of images by various artists, and thought that they were worth looking into. On looking them up, they are a series of artwork for the latest cards in the Magic: The Gathering card game. Whilst I don't play it, I can't deny that these images aren't inspiring.

Jason Chan, Jamie Jones, Peter Mohrbacher, Eric Deschamps, Chris Rahn, Ryan Barger, Slawomir Maniak, and Daarken are the artists credited for this work.

I have looked over brush details and strokes to see how this artwork has been developed and drawn, but also some of the imagery they use. Almost all the characters are outside and have sky at their backs to help convey their size, and each of them is a God symbolic of their domain through their appearance. E.g it is easy to tell who Thalassa, God of the Sea is, and who Karametra, God of the Harvest is. But they all also seem to share a space-like presence, as if their bodies were made of stars or were like glass that allows the viewer to see the deep space behind them.




No comments:

Post a Comment