Wednesday 14 May 2014

Lighting





The lighting in my animation ought to be fitting of a lunar-esque environment. In many reference images I browsed beforehand, prior to arranging lighting, I noticed that because of a lack of atmosphere, things were quite plainly white or black. Things were either exposed to light, or not, and therefore hidden in shadow. I wanted to recreate the look of the above two images to try and capture this look.

However, I thought that adding a slight glow to the environment and character made things look more space-like, for the lack of a better descriptive word for a cumulative summary of all things involved in space. Our own moon glows at night, although it isn't it's own light, but the light it reflects off the sun.

Also, despite the view from space on Earth, in some areas..



The view of space from the moon is relatively plain. It could be because of light pollution from the Earth itself.


Whether I want to add more stars or not is a matter of whether it would look better vs realism. I don't feel the need to be no-holds-barred when it comes to realism, but I find it important to balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment