Thursday 22 May 2014

Learning from Art Tips


This is a picture I did on my spare time of a blood elf from the Warcraft setting. It was an attempt at a new form of creating art that didn't rely heavily on drawing the line-art first.

It took many more hours than usual, but I believe it was successful if not only because I like the image, but because I learned a lot from doing it. I dedicated time until the early hours of the morning trying to clean up the slightest of details, which meant going over facial anatomy meticulously until I had found the errors I was looking for.

In the end, looking back on it, there was still plenty more I could have or should have fixed - although perhaps I was simply too tired. Either way, some of what I learned from the art guides I touched on earlier I applied here, especially to the lips - which I think are probably the most realistic lips I've drawn.


Looking back at the Rift art contest I did, what I did with the crystal seems similar to the guide to drawing ice by Ryky - but I'm proud to say I did that without any references or guides - indeed, using references would have been against the rules.


No comments:

Post a Comment