Tuesday 22 May 2012

Evaluating

Evaluations are something I am very familiar with writing already. My personal way to go about it is to avoid descriptions about what things are, but why they are; how they are, how and why they are not something else. Generally the idea is to explain the reasons behind your point, when making an evaluation. You are not telling someone that a Ferrari is red, but why it is red, because of the connotations associated with the colour red. It is explaining the cause and reasoning behind an approach to something.

Typical things when writing an evaluation are similar to a review. You once again look over what it is you have been asked to do and how your final product compares to the brief you are set.You are looking at the good, the bad, what could be better, what could be worse; the strengths and highlights, unique features and common mistakes, regrets and proudest achievements behind whatever you are evaluating. In the case of evaluating my own work, I tend to follow all these examples.

"Working with Unity and Maya proved somewhat tedious but rewarding as more effort was invested. More time went into introducing subtle changes like particle effects and getting the lighting right than I would have thought, and I spent a good amount of time planning and considering what assets I wanted. I think the planning stage was very helpful, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to jump into Unity and simple spew out anything that came into my head; it likely would have been a very messy game environment."


Here, in the most recent evaluation I have produced, I address several issues. The difficulty of working with programmes, the problems I encountered and how I overcame them, the consequences of actions I have undertaken in response to unforeseen circumstances of producing my work as intended.


Analysing and reflecting on your own work is critical, but it means reflecting on everything; not just what you did, but why and how you did it, and what you didn't do and for what reasons. To evaluate is to effectively summarise the reasoning behind of the decision behind all other decisions made in critically reviewing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment