Wednesday 5 December 2012

Developing the Alien

When we came to make the alien it meant making use of many tools we were already aware of, and so building the geometry wasn't so much of a challenging prospect, although it still took a reasonable few attempts in order to finish with something I wanted to bind to a skeleton.

I thought back of when I was building the tree when first learning how to make use of the extrusion tool, which was perhaps the primary tool used in the construction of the alien's geometry. I was warned not to use too many polygons in my models (that is apparently a frequent problem I tend to make). Unfortunately I probably took this a little too literally and removed many more polygons than necessary. Whilst I did look at face typology and had reference images to work with, I frequently studied my model in smooth preview. Admittedly I think I removed too many edged, resulting in some of the faces of the geometry covering a wider area than they ought to. This would certainly be the change I would make if I were to do it again.


Regardless the model turned out quite well and I would soon after move on to texturing and animating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment