Wednesday 5 December 2012

Developing the Character

I thought long and hard about the character I wanted to portray as seemed to be going down the route of developing our characters before the storyline. Then again, we didn't know what storyline to go with without first having characters, so there was no harm developing it this way.

One character was quickly established; a guard or a mercenary of sorts, equipped with space-age firearms. I decided to make something that contrasted well with this kind of character.


Sam Fisher was the first character reference I used and set me on the path of the kind of character I wanted to develop; not only because of his role in the games he is cast in, but also his overall appearance; especially the night vision goggles. I wanted to recreate something similar to this but more similar and with a less uniform appearance, to give the character a greater appeal of individuality and a lone-wolf identity.


Samus was the next character I looked at as it had the kind of appeal I was looking for, but looks too alien for my liking. I wanted the character I developed to be identifiable as a human, whilst still maintaining a space-age / futuristic identity. I took it back a notch and another character appeared in my inspiration list.


My own experience with the Crysis game series is limited to playing round my friend's house and kicking a few chickens around in the super-powered suit, but it was enough for me to remember it here. It had everything I was looking for; Sam Fisher's goggles, a distinguishable human shape and appearance, and contrary to the high tech weaponry that the character's enemy in the machinima - the guard would have, this character uses something a little unorthodox.

I found a similar character within the Starcraft universe, but thought he was a little over-dressed and armoured.


With the necessary reference material for developing the character, I know it will be much easier and a more liner process than trying to think of it out of my head alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment