Wednesday 5 December 2012

Developing the Ninja

Before the final design of the ninja was sealed, I made a few experiments with his face. As you wouldn't be able to see the character's face directly, I felt it was important to create a cool design to substitute for it. I experimented with ideas such as a headset and goggles with a cloth rag over the mouth, but I felt this design in particular felt out of date to the rest of the character's attire and would require a complete overhaul.

I experimented with character ideas and inspirations such as Venom, including more visually haunting eyes and an alien mouth. Whilst I felt it was a cool idea, it was simply a case of 'I don't really want him to look like that'. I experimented with a single visor, taking inspiration from the large alien robot in The Day the Earth Stood Still, but thought it looked more like Robo-Cop when equipped on a human.

I thought the original idea captured what I wanted best and applied a few tweaks as to how it could be changed.

I went with the bottom - middle design.
 I then decided to figure out how the mask would open up, not knowing if this would even be necessary in the machinima, but it would provide some sort of character development. The two plates that cover the mouth would split open and be drawn back to the cheeks, whereas the face-plate would slide up over the forehead.


No comments:

Post a Comment