Friday 8 March 2013

Finishing the Alien

Here is the finished alien. I made a grey texture that is shaded and lightened in some areas to make it look more natural than the computer generated lighting alone. I kept the standard texture on the eyes though. I made one for them but it didn't come out very well and felt they were best left as they were. Anything else made it look less like it did in the concept art, rather than more like it.


I expanded the vertices inside the mouth. This made it look like it has an actual mouth and immediately made the model much better looking. I wanted to make the eyes slant slightly to look more worried, but at this point they were fixed to the geometry and I couldn't move them. I thought about including eyelids for the aliens to blink with, but felt that the aliens were creepier, weirder and funnier if they didn't blink at all.



Finally I also solved my texture problem. I kept the colour the same but used a bump map built into maya, called leather. This gives the skin a leathery appearance, which although isn't quite like the smooth skin I imagined they had in the concept art, still serves to make the aliens look better overall. I adjusted the leather bumpmap until I was happy with it, so that it wasn't too noticeable, but noticable enough to ensure that anyone who saw the alien would have some idea of how it felt if you felt compelled to stroke one of them on their little bald heads.


No comments:

Post a Comment