Friday 8 March 2013

Ship Development

When coming up with ideas for my ship I went back to my design board I made at the very start of the project. It's from here that most of my initial ideas stem out and either grow or reach dead ends. I took random combinations and collided them in a design matrix, taking the best of each features and quickly building a mock-up idea of what they were meant to be. 




Some of them were too hard to think of anything decent (a flying vegetable of some sort would have been appropriate for the missing combination below but I only realise that now. I did not want to spend too long thinking of one idea when I could be working, developing or even finalizing on another. 



One of the ideas came from a very unlikely film called Kung Pow, a comedy martial arts film by Steve Oedekirk, whom I know for his work in Bruce Almighty, Ace Ventura - typically his work with Jim Carey, with whom he has very similar comedic style.


Large, flying pyramids was an idea that stuck with me and I decided to develop it, although I could just as easily have taken it from the ambiguous shapes section on my initial ideas board. I had the impression that these pyramids were carved out of mountains and shaped / filed down to become impossibly smooth so that in space, laser weapons literally bounced off it like a very strong mirror.




This makes the pyramid look very plane, though. Also, as I look up at it from the ground level in my film, I will only really see the underside of it so I decided that is the place I ought to spend my time developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment