Saturday 18 May 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness


I recently watched this film, the sequel to the 2009 'Star Trek' film - a reboot of a popular TV and film franchise. Directed by J.J Abrams, the film was promised to deliver as well as the first film, and deliver it did; I would go so far as to say I thought it was even better than the last film.

I had little idea what the film was about until Benedict Cumberbatch's character was introduced as 'Khan' - and even then I didn't know so much about the original film 'Star Trek; the Wrath of Khan'. So I knew from the limited knowledge of the Star Trek universe I had. Whereas the last film was about the foundations of the Enterprise crew of the original Star Trek TV series, this film seemed to be about their first real, and perhaps most deadly adversary, as he was referred to by Leonard Nimoy who made his appearance as Future Spock.

I am very impressed with the film and there is a lot to summarise  The effects were well used and the sets were brilliant, the roles for the actors were well allocated and cast. Perhaps one thing that is debatable, for a positive point or criticism, is that the action in the film was almost constant throughout two thirds of it. There was almost never a moment's pause and I felt that if I had to go to the bathroom and miss a few minutes of the film, I might have missed some very important details. I came to this conclusion at the end of the film, where several points and plot devices were finally drawn together - many of which I could easily have missed out on if I was absent or not quite paying attention.

On the other hand, I don't go to see a film to not pay attention to it, and I can't hold a film accountable for me possibly having to go to the bathroom - which thankfully I didn't. There were several enjoyable 'Kirk and Spock' moments. I think the film did a good job in targeting new audiences unfamiliar with the Star Trek universe, and the older audience who know it all too well. One criticism I have read up on is that the 'trio' of the film is made out to be Kirk, Spock and Uhura, rather than Kirk, Spock and McCoy. However this is something I only half agree with as there were plenty of moments where all these characters interacted in ways. Though this is probably more of a concern for the older audience, of which I am not a part, so it's hard for me to fully get a grasp on their perspective and appreciate what it means to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment